Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Almost Easter

I don't remember having big family get togethers with my great grandmother, but we did have my great aunts, great uncles and cousins and aunts and uncles over for some of the holidays.

Easter....my favorite time. Grandma made sweet bread...Babka. My mother followed suite. However, I have not been able to find their recipe. I am posting a recipe from the Polish cookbook that I found:


  • 1/2 c soft butter 4 cups flour

  • 1/2 c sugar 1 t salt

  • 4 egg yolks 1/2 t cinnamon

  • 1 c milk, scalded l c white raisins

  • l cake yeast l egg yolk, beaten

  • grated rind of 1 lemon 2 T water

  • 1/4 c lukewarm water l/4 c chopped almonds

Mix butter and sugar in large mixing bowl. Add salt to egg yolks and beat until thick. Add to sugar and butter mix. Add yeast softened in 1/4 c. lukewarm water. Add lemon rind and cinnamon. Add flour aalternately with milk and beat well to make smooth batter. Add raisins and knead with hands until batter leaves the fingers. Let rise in warm place and is double in bulk (approximately 1 1/2 hrs.) Punch down and let rise again until double in bulk. Butter fluted tube pan or bread pan generously and sprinkle with fine bread crumbs and fill with dough. Brush top with mixture made by beating 1 egg yolk with 2 T. water. Sprinkle with almonds, let rise and bake in 350 degree oven about 30 mins. check for doneness and browning.


Hope this babka reminds you of your youth.....I'll keep looking for my grandma's recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment