Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fall is here and almost gone

Good intentions sometimes fall by the wayside and that is what happened here with my blog. I had every intention of keeping this up and I messed up....let other things get in the way. But I hope to be able to work on my blog at least weekly.
This time of the year, my mom or grandma would make my dad's favorite and my favorite as well...Jellied Pig's Feet...
Use 4 pigs feet, cut in half. 1 clove of garlic 2 pork shanks
5 whole peppers 1 onion, browned 5 whole allspice
1 stalk celery, chopped 4 bay leaves 1 sprig parsley, cut fine
1 T. vinegar Salt
Wash feet and shanks, place in large kettle and cover with water. Bring to boiling point and skim. Add onion, celery, garlic and spices and simmer covered very slowly for about 4 hours or until meat comes off bones easily. Cool, strain, remove bones and spices. Return meat to liquid and salt and vinegar and pour into loaf or tube pan. Set in refrigerator until firm. Scrape fat from the top, garnish with cooked carrot slices, lemon slices and hard boiled eggs sliced. Enjoy!
We used to slice it and put a little vinegar on it and pepper no garnishes with a slice of rye bread...I can taste it now....Hope you like this ..... til next we meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment